Dental Fillings in Back Bay Boston, MA
What is a Dental Filling?
A dental filling is a procedure used by a dentist when removing a cavity. The dentist will drill around the decayed area in the tooth to remove the cavity and then “fill” in the removed space with a dental filling. The material can be either, amalgam (silver), gold, porcelain, or composite.
Dr. Welz completes his own lab work in our in-house lab in Back Bay Boston so gold restorations, including gold fillings, gold inlays, gold on-lays, and gold crowns will be hand crafted under a 20x microscope to ensure every step of the process is precise. He has been making gold fillings, gold inalys, gold onlays and gold crowns for the past 40 years and continues to do so on a regular basis. Gold is the longest latest material in dentistry and is often a good choice for those who are looking for longevity. Some of Dr. Welz’s patients still have gold restorations that he placed 40 years ago. Your first appointment will be to prep the tooth and to make a temporary. The second appointment will be the final gold restoration (gold inlay, gold onlay or gold crown). We make your restorations in our in-house lab, but time between appointments can be as little as few days.
Composite is a material used to mimic the look and durability of teeth and they can also be used to repair chipped or broken teeth. Composite bonding can also be done to restore chipped or broken front teeth to make them look realistic and natural. Dr. Welz uses the Bioclear Method Technique when bonding to create your beautiful smile. If the material is composite, it is inserted into the cavity, and Dr. Welz will use instruments to shape it into the rough shape of the desired tooth. The dentist will shape the tooth to look natural, matching the color and shape of the other teeth. Using a special ‘blue light,’ the dentist will harden the material in a matter of seconds, and then shape and polish the hardened material to complete the restoration.
Types of Dental Fillings
- Amalgam Fillings – Also called silver fillings, these are resistant to wear and highly durable. This option may be right for you if you are looking for an alternative to gold or composite. Dr. Welz has done amalgam for over 40 years.
- Gold Fillings – Possibly the most famous of the types of dental fillings, gold fillings are durable and hold longevity. Gold can be an expensive option and as such is not often the patient’s first choice. We are able to craft gold inlays, gold onlays and gold crowns in our in-house lab.
- Composite Fillings – Composite fillings are the most common type of fillings. Made of a resin base, these fillings are designed to mimic the exact color of teeth, and offer the dentist the widest variety.
- Bioclear Restorations – The Bioclear Method by Dr. David Clark is the newest and superior method to bond teeth with composite. It strengthens teeth and in some cases does not require removal of any tooth structure. The method requires training from Bioclear Learning Center. Dr. Welz and one of his assistants have completed their certification and have over 80 hours of training in Tacoma, Washington. The new method reduces probability of staining and chipping.
- Porcelain fillings – Called inlays or on-lays, these types of fillings are produced in our in-house lab using CEREC technology and then bonded and cemented to the tooth. They are similarly priced to gold fillings but if aesthetics are a concern for you, porcelain matches the color of surrounding teeth.
For dental fillings, Dr. Welz will advise on what option is the best per each situation. For more general knowledge about dental fillings or if you require one, do not hesitate to call or email our friendly staff in Back Bay Boston to learn more!